Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Saddest Moments in Zombie History

On a serious note... zombies are no laughing matter. Every good zombie movie has a scene of intense emotional turmoil. The scene makes you think about your own loved ones and your greatest fears. In the comments, I welcome everyone to share scenes from zombie movies that affected you deeply.

There may be SPOILERS, but I tried not to give too much away. An interesting point to make, knowing who dies in a zombie movie doesn't make watching it less enjoyable. It actually relieves tension during those uncomfortable close call scenes.


Dawn of the Dead when Peter drinks alone. They bury his buddy in the shopping mall's garden. I found something about the scene so utterly heart-wrenching. His friend was always laughing, poking fun at zombies and making up games. There is no sound in this scene except the pop when he opens the champagne.


28 Days Later. Dad gets zombie blood in his eyes that drips down from a corpse. He is rubbing his eyes as his daughter approaches.
"Hannah. I love you very much."
"What?"
"Keep away from me."
"Dad?"

"KEEP AWAY FROM ME! KEEP AWAY FROM ME! KEEP AWAY FROM ME!"
"DADDY NOOOOOOOOOO!!!"


Walking Dead Telltale Games. Clem.... You're gonna be ok. Just get out quiet. But before you do, you gotta shoot me, Clem.



"Oh, Linda," Ash sobs over her body when sees the necklace he bought for her. He cannot bear to dismember his girlfriend with a chainsaw, even if she is the Evil Dead.


Truly the saddest scene in television history, unless you've been a guest at the Red Wedding... oh crap. There are no zombies in Game of Thrones. Wait... actually... THERE ARE!!! I forgot about the white walkers. Welcome to the ranks of zombie popular culture, George R. R. Martin.


Walking Dead. "You're gonna be fine. You are gonna beat this world, I know you will. You are smart, and you are strong and you are so brave. And I love you. You gotta do what's right. Promise me you'll always do what's right... don't let the world spoil you. You are so good my sweet, sweet boy. The best thing I ever did." A farewell between a mother and son.


Possibly the saddest moment in all zombie history is in I am Legend, when Robert's dog Samantha, his only companion for the last three years, gets bit. He takes her home, gives her a shot, cradles her in his arms and sings her a lullaby. When she turns, he looks away and smothers her, tears rolling down his face. I hate it when they kill the dog.

Survival Tip of the Day:

1 comment:

  1. Deadites are not zombies, they are demons, The Evil Dead shouldn't be on this list.

    ReplyDelete