Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Walking Dead Comics


For our one year anniversary, my husband bought me the first compendium of The Walking Dead, the first 48 comics. I was glued to it for about two days, and for those of you who haven't read it, let me be the first to tell you that even a silly little comic book can give you nightmares. I found the graphic novel more disturbing than any show or video game about zombies. If you watch AMC's Walking Dead, you have to know that it is a Disney movie compared to the comics.

I won't spoil it for you, because I'm hoping you will head to Barnes & Noble right now and pick it up. However, I will discuss some key differences between the show and the comic. First of all, and most importantly, my most beloved character from the show Daryl Dixon does not exist in the book. Apparently, Norman Reedus's character Daryl Dixon was never meant to be a main character, and yet he has become America's most beloved redneck. 

I come from an old Southern family, and girls like me know not to fall for po white trash like him, but the weakness is ingrained in my DNA. Now that Daryl is an American sex symbol, I realize that all women have a thing for troubled men with no prospects. He must have been the happy accident of a talented actor creating a character as complex and lovable as himself. Reedus says that he channels his own personality to create Daryl.


“I’m pretty damaged already I guess. He doesn’t know what to say and neither do I, as you can tell by this answer. I’m loyal to my friends and would do anything for them, but I’m kind of quiet. I believe in people and the cause, but I really don’t want to ever be the center of attention." – Norman Reedus, Comicbook.com


Without Daryl in the comics, the rest of the characters get involved in some very messy business. Characters you would never expect to hook up are hooking up. Michonne and the Governor do unspeakable things to one another that trust me, you do not want to know about and if you do, you wish you could forget. There are decapitations, rapes, mutilations, and even a momentary serial killer subplot! The comics are not for the faint of heart, but then again, the faint of heart generally steer clear of anything zombie.


Today's Survival Tip of the Day comes from AMC heartthrob Daryl Dixon.



2 comments:

  1. Daryl Dixon is a real American hero, one that kills walkers, Hubba Hubba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubba hubba is right. I'd follow that man anywhere.

      Delete