Thursday, July 11, 2013

2013: Year of the Zombie

To be born in 2013 would be an honor, for this is an exceptional year. It is the year many Mayan calendar doomsayers believed would never come to pass. The number 13 is considered unlucky by most, but witches see the superstition differently. There are 13 full moons in a year, and the full moon is a celebration of femininity.  The Chinese zodiac calls 2013 the year of the snake. I would have to insist that this is rather the year of the Zombie.

"Love means never having to say I'm undead."

Warm Bodies
February 2nd, 2013
This film is based on a novel, as are most great movies. The last time I saw a filmmaker humanize a zombie was in Romero's Land of the Dead. Warm Bodies is not so subtle. The story unfolds from a zombie's perspective, and as he falls in love with a teenage girl, he becomes more and more human. I had difficulty imagining how a writer could make this work, but after watching the first few minutes of the film, I was sold. The quirky main character makes this an instant favorite.

He looks good in any medium.

Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
March 19th, 2013
Finally we can play as Daryl Dixon! It's all I ever wanted. Now I just have to figure out how to import him into World of Warcraft so he can marry my blood elf version of myself.

"Maybeh if I chops my arm off?"
Evil Dead
April 12th, 2013
We brought back a classic and turned it into an unoriginal thriller. It has all the elements for horror that puts me to sleep: stupid teenagers, no cell phone reception and gratuitous female exploitation. It just came out, but you'll be asking yourself, "Have I seen this before?" This is why people don't pay to see movies anymore, Hollywood.

"So... When do you turn 18?"
The Last of Us
June 14th, 2013
This game has had amazing reviews. Critics say it has beautiful graphics, dynamic gameplay and a compelling script.

Brad rocks a scarf while running from zombies. It's all a part of his keen survival skills.
World War Z
June 21st, 2013
Fun stuff. Check out my review.

This is why games have ratings. Not for kids!
Walking Dead: 400 Days
July 2nd, 2013
This DLC for Telltale Game's Walking Dead sets the story up for the next series of arcade games. The player goes through five different stories, getting varied perspectives through the zombie apocalypse.

Who wouldn't want to see this movie?
R.I.P.D. (Rest In Peace Department)
July 19th, 2013
Everyone is telling me this movie looks stupid, but I am going to see it on opening night. A night of undead police officers sounds like campy fun. This could be the next Men in Black.... or it could be a complete rip off of Men in Black. We'll see.

When there is no more original zombie ideas, a remake will ensue.
Night of The Living Dead: Origins 3D
October 13th, 2013
This is the story of my zombie apocalypse outcome. Survivors hole up in a New York City apartment and fend off the hordes. I think I know how this one is going to end.


Survival Tip of the Day:
Condoms. Condoms! CONDOMS! Pregnancy during the zombie apocalypse equals one dead mama. Wait for the cure!

No comments:

Post a Comment