Saturday, July 13, 2013

Zombie Flash Fiction

It was the middle of the night. We were thirty miles away from the next town. Just as we were nearing our destination, the rental car got a flat tire. The popping underfoot made me wonder if this was the beginning of the end. My sister and I had gotten into our share of close calls recently, and we kept wondering when our luck would run out.

Alexa and I pulled over. Through the dark, we walked the remainder of the distance to the farmhouse. There we found a withered old woman sitting by a fire, staring catatonic into the flames.

"You'll find what you're looking for in the trunk of the car," she said in a voice I thought I had known once before, perhaps when I was a child.

"Come with us" I told her. She looked up from the fire and I saw that a chunk of her cheek was missing. She didn't even try to cover her exposed mandible.

"She's bit," Alexa whispered. I guarded my sister and we backed away slowly.

"How long ago?" I asked.

"You'll find what you need in the trunk of the car," the grey woman repeated.

We didn't waste another second getting away from her. Around the side of the old farmhouse, we found her steel blue Buick. I strapped my rifle across my shoulder and went into the car to hit the trunk release. My sister kept pestering me to wait. 'Wait' she kept saying.

"We should get out of here." I could hear the terror in her voice, but that only pressed me to move faster. "The witch was the only one who could stop those things. She's about the become one. Do you really think whatever is in this trunk of her car can help us?"

Before I could answer, a body that was charred and faceless lunged from the trunk, grabbing Alexa and sinking its teeth into her shoulder. As I watched in the rear view mirror as the mutilated being cracked my sister open like a crab leg and feasted on her raw quivering meat, I knew there was no hope.

"James!" she cried out.

"I'm sorry." I did a barrel roll away from the car and fired a shot into my sister's head and then a second shot between the monster's eyes. It was better to let Alexa die than face one of those perversions of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment